Jack’s quick and easy recipes
4 cups semolina (fine)
1 1/2 cup yogurt
1 cup sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 sachet of vanilla
4 tablespoons of rosewater
1/2 teaspoon of mastic, crushed
A few blanched and halved almonds for decoration.
For the syrup:
3 cups water
3 cups sugar
3 tablespoons of rosewater
3 cinnamon sticks
4-5 drops of lemon
1. Preheat oven to 330oF (175oC)
2. Prepare the syrup: place all the ingredients for the syrup in a sauce pan and boil for about 12-13 minutes.
3. In a large bowl whisk the eggs and add the sugar. Add the vegetable oil and beat all the ingredients together to combine. Add the vanilla, mastic, the rosewater and continue mixing. Add the yogurt and stir. Add the baking powder and flour, and mix all the ingredients together.
4. Pour the mixture into greased medium sized pan, and bake in preheated oven. After a few minutes, arrange almonds in rows in the semolina. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked in centre.
5. Cut into pieces in the cooking dish. Pour cold syrup over the hot cake or hot syrup over the cold cake. It is important to ensure that either, the cake or the syrup are cold and the other is hot.
6. Let the shamali cake to cool down and absorb the syrup. Serve and Enjoy!